Making corn tortillas from scratch doesn't have to include a fancy tortilla press (although they are fun to have) or even crazy amounts or time to make them. These corn tortillas are so easy to make, only three ingredients, and fresh out of the pan- they are heaven! Learn how to make tortillas the easy way with this recipe.
Corn Tortilla Recipe
Making corn tortillas is probably one of the easiest things to do. With Masa flour, water, and salt, you can whip these up whenever you want an authentic Mexican or Native American meal.
Personally I love using Masa Harina to go with tacos, fajitas, empanadas, tamales, gorditas, or even baked into tostidos. That smoky corn flavor is just unbeatable.
The bonus to these tortillas is that they are also naturally gluten free, dairy free, and vegan. Win win for everyone!
What is Masa Harina?
Masa Harina means "dough flour." It's a flour that is made from corn soaked in lime water which gives it amazing and unique flavor. Masa is naturally gluten free and much easier for the body to digest.
The beauty of this flour is that it's basically an instant flour. Just add water and you are good to go for most recipes including this one.
Where can I find Masa?
Masa Harina can be found in almost any store in the Ethnic aisle. We get ours from Aldi's and it is so much cheaper than regular flour. Just another reason to love all the amazing recipes you can make with this delicious Masa Harina.
How to Make Tortillas
In a bowl, mix your Masa flour and water with a pinch of salt until a soft dough forms. Divide your dough into about 4 sections (8 if you double this recipe.. etc. etc. math math math).
I you are using a tortilla press, awesome. If you're not, cool me neither. I totally want one one day but currently this is my method:
- Shape the dough into a slightly flattened ball.
- Place it on a sheet of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Use a cutting board or any other flat large thing you have, and lay it on top, pressing it flat.
- Then you can easily place a second sheet of parchment paper over it and roll it out to the nice thin tortilla shape that you want.
In a pan with a little bit of Olive Oil over medium to low heat, fry up each side of the tortilla. This should only take about 2 minutes on each side to get a good golden color.
Definitely turn the heat on your burner down if you notice smoking or that the tortilla is burning. Place them on a paper towel and serve up right away or store for later.
You can keep your tortillas in a sealed container in the fridge for about 1 week. (we love them fresh and warm though)
Hope you enjoy these fresh corn tortillas as much as we do!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click and buy, I may make a commission at no cost to you. See my policy for more information.
More Sweet recipes for you to love
Tag us on Instagram @grabthemangos and give us a rating and review right here in the comments! And don't forget to pin and save it for next time!
Shop this Post
How to Make Corn Tortillas
This recipe shows you how to make corn tortillas from scratch without a press. Using Masa Harina these are the real and delicious warm corn tortillas you need! Super easy and quick too.
- 1 cup Masa Flour
- ⅔ cup + 1 tablespoon Water
- Pinch of Salt
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until a soft dough forms.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces and form into flat-ish balls.
- Using either a tortilla press or a large cutting board, press the tortilla flat.
- Roll out a bit more into a nice round thin tortilla shape and place into a frying pan with a little olive oil to cook on medium to low heat.
- Cook each side for about 2 minutes or so until slightly golden.
- Serve warm with taco fillings or anything else you like! Enjoy
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 35mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information is not always 100% accurate.