This chocolate coconut bread is so easy, yummy, and I mean does it get any better than chocolate and coconut? This bread uses coconut flour as well as Bob Red Mill’s 1-1 gluten free flour blend and has coconut flakes inside as well as toasted on top with chocolate chips. Have I sold you on this bread yet? Maybe the fact that it is totally gluten free and dairy free will convince you!
So you may be wondering, why not just dump some coconut flour in this recipe and call it a day. Well coconut flour is one of my favorite flours to work with because of the unique texture it adds to anything baked. But, it also is SO absorbent that you need much much less of it than regular flour as well as more eggs to make it work. Basically, as with all gluten free options- there is a science to it and as long as you know how they work generally, you’ll be just fine.
So now you know this tip: coconut flour in baked goods needs to be a smaller amount with double the eggs.
I decided to use some coconut flour in this recipe because, like I said, the texture is so good in baked goods. A yummy coconut texture with coconut flakes but a chocolatey flavor all around. UM YES!
Chocolate Coconut Loaf
Alright, my kids are asleep, I’m staring at a computer screen, and just dreaming of making this bread loaf again… maybe I will in the morning. But first let me show you my secrets!
How to make dairy free buttermilk
First things first, this loaf gets it extra amazing flavor and texture from a little dairy free COCONUT buttermilk. That’s right, coconut everything.
After pre-heating the oven to 350, in a glass measuring cup, combine some coconut milk and Apple Cider Vinegar. This makes buttermilk- dairy free of course. The buttermilk in this recipe will react with the baking soda (think middle school science fair volcano) and create that beautiful rise for the bread without needing yeast while also showing off that chocolate flavor even more.
Set aside your coconut buttermilk while you combine the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet in another. Once they are ready to be combined into one big beautiful chocolate coconut loaf, add that magical buttermilk right into the mix.
Finally, add your shredded coconut and fold all together. Bake in a greased and parchment lined bread pan for 40-50 minutes until done.
Best part, 5 minutes before the bread is done, take it out to add more shredded coconut and dark chocolate chips to the top of the loaf. The coconut will get nice a golden tasted and the chocolate chips with slightly melt. Beauty in a bread!
Let it cool before cutting into and enjoy with copious amounts of coffee in the morning like all great people do 😉
Tag us on Instagram @grabthemangos and give us a rating and review right here in the comments! And don’t forget to pin and save it for next time 😉
If you love this recipe, be sure to check out these drool worthy recipes too:
- Gluten Free Apple Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
- Chickpea Molasses Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Vegan Fudge Brownies
- 1/2 cup Bob Red Mill's 1-1 ratio Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk (Thai's Kitchen brand is our favorite)
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Coconut Flakes (plus more for topping)
- Dark Chocolate Chips (for topping)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- In a glass liquid measuring cup, combine the coconut milk and the apple cider vinegar to create your dairy free buttermilk and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk mixture, sugar, vanilla, and olive oil.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the large mixing bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Add the coconut flakes and fold throughout the mixture.
- Pour into a greased bread pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 45-50 minutes until done.
- When there is 5 minutes left for the bread to bake, add your coconut flakes to the top and a handful of dark chocolate chips and finish baking.
- Let it cool and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 3gSugar: 32gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is not always 100% accurate.