You read that right! This recipe is for super moist gluten free apple pie coffee cake that will fill every single fall dream you have and is a great use for all those apples you've been picking. This gluten free coffee cake is so easy to make and is also dairy free. Topped with an apple pie filling layer and a dairy free, gluten free streusel topping. Are you drooling for this weekend and this cake with a cup of coffee yet?
Gluten Free Coffee Cake
A lot of coffee cake recipes out there are full of yummy things like sour cream or yogurt and of course butter and flour. This one knocks them out of the water and doesn't have any of that. It's soft, moist (yes moist- deal), so delicious, and I mean- topped with apple pie? Does it get any better?
This coffee cake is made with Bob Red Mill's 1-1 gluten free flour blend and a little coconut flour for the perfect crumb and density. Some almond milk and apple cider vinegar together make this cake so full of flavor and replace the sour cream that a lot of good coffee cakes have.
There are 3 layers, all gluten free and dairy free, in this cake. Layer number 1 is a warm cinnamon cake. Layer number 2 is a delicious and easy apple pie filling. And the final layer is a brown sugar and molasses streusel topping. SO GOOD RIGHT?
Apple Pie Coffee Cake
Making this for a weekend brunch or cozy breakfast is the best idea and honestly you should be whipping this up this weekend right after apple picking.
The first layer of this cake is the cinnamon cake layer. Combine the gluten free flour, baking soda, baking powder, coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Blend it all together well with a whisk so there are no lumps. In separate large mixing bowl, combine the almond milk, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, eggs, and vanilla.
Once you've done this, start to add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients to form the batter. In a cake pan, greased and lined with parchment paper, pour the batter in and set aside while you make your apple pie layer.
I used red delicious for this recipe and it turned out super well! Slice up about 4-5 apples into thin slices. In a bowl add your lemon juice, brown sugar, coconut flour, and apple pie spices. Evenly place the apples over the top of the batter. Lastly the brown sugar and molasses streusel.
This streusel is not traditional because it has no butter (I know, sad day) but instead has a little molasses which honestly adds a really amazing flavor punch. Sprinkle it over the top evenly and pop this apple pie coffee cake in to bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Enjoy!
Tag us on Instagram @grabthemangos and give us a rating and review right here in the comments! And don't forget to pin and save it for next time!
More Sweet recipes for you to love
- Gluten Free Apple Bread with Zucchini
- Chocolate and Coconut Bread - gluten free
- Chickpea Molasses Oatmeal Cookies
- Aquafaba Dairy Free Whipped Cream
- Cake Layer:
- 1 ¾ cup Bob Red Mill's 1-1 Gluten Free Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¾ cup Olive Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- Apple Pie Filling Layer:
- 4-5 Red Delicious Apples
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoon Coconut Flour
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Allspice
- 1 teaspoon Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Streusel Layer:
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ Bob Red Mill's 1-1 Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tablespoon Molasses
- Optional Icing:
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2-3 tablespoon Almond Milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- Make the cake layer first:
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients- flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients- sugar, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Slowly add the dry mix of ingredients to the large mixing bowl full of wet ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly and pour into a greased and parchment lined cake pan.
- Set aside.
- Make the Apple Pie filling:
- Peel and thinly slice your apples and place in a bowl.
- Toss with the rest of the filling ingredients and evenly place the apples across the cake batter in the pan.
- Make the streusel:
- In a small bowl, combine the streusal ingredients with your fingers until it resembles a traditional streusel.
- Sprinkle over the top of the apple pie coffee cake and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
- Enjoy drizzled with the optional icing or without!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 688Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 110gFiber: 6gSugar: 75gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information isn't always 100% accurate.