There's something about "fritters" that just makes you think- homey, southern, and deliciously easy, right? Zucchini fritters are one of my favorite things to make. A good, spiced up, veggie filled fritter is a keeper for those weeknight dinners. Top it off with some sour cream, chives, or even some whipped butter (like a true southerner, everything needs butter). No matter how you eat these, everyone will love them!
Crispy Zucchini Fritters
Growing up in the south, basically everything but especially veggies, were just loaded up with butter when you made them. Not so healthy, but then again live a little right? My kids love when I make vegetables for them because they know I'll make sure they taste good. Most of the time, I manage to keep the veggies healthy too by not overdoing the butter but again, live a little.
This zucchini fritter recipe is completely gluten free and can be dairy free depending on what you cook the batter in. I prefer to use Ghee these days because I like the health benefits and I like the taste even more.
To get these fritter nice and crisp on the outside, there are a couple of tips/tricks.
- Make sure you flatten the batter down slightly with a spoon by spreading it out when you pour it into the pan.
- Squeeze out your zucchini really well to dry it up.
- Make sure you have a medium heat setting.
- And finally, make sure you cook it in something like ghee, butter, or a good olive oil or coconut oil. (if you don't want coconut taste, use refined coconut oil)
Super Easy Fritters
Let's make some delicious zucchini fritters! Start out by grating your zucchini. I used about 2 medium sized zucchini. Using a cheese cloth or a thin clean rag, squeeze all the juice out of your grated zucchini as well as you can. This doesn't have to be perfect so just try to get out as much liquid as you can for a crisper fritter.
In a mixing bowl, combine the dried grated zucchini with chopped celery, onions, minced garlic, and beaten eggs. Mix together and then add in your flour and spices. So easy right?
In a frying pan or skillet, heat 2 tablespoon of Ghee or your choice of oil over medium heat. Making sure the oil is nice and hot before putting the batter in also helps to make sure they become crispy.
Using a quarter cup, pour batter into the pan and spread into a nice thin circle. Let it fry for 2-3 minutes with the lid on the pan, then flip and let it fry for 2-3 minutes with the lid off. You want golden brown sides.
When they are done, place on a paper towel on a plate and serve hot with your choice of toppings (sour cream, chives, whipped butter... etc). Enjoy!
Tag us on Instagram @grabthemangos and give us a rating and review right here in the comments! And don't forget to pin and save it for next time!
More Sweet recipes for you to love
- Salmon Patties with Yogurt Sauce
- Chickpea Orange Bars
- Apple Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Noodles with Lemon Butter Sauce
- 2 Medium Zucchini
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Chopped Celery
- ½ cup Chopped Onion
- 2 Minced Garlic Cloves
- ¾ cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour
- ¼ cup Almond Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoon Ghee or Olive Oil for frying
- Grate your zucchini into a cheesecloth or thin clean rag.
- Over the sink, squeeze the zucchini dry and try to get as much of the liquid out through the cloth as you can.
- Place dried zucchini in a bowl and add beaten eggs, onions, celery, and minced garlic. Mix together.
- Next, add your gluten free flour and almond flour, plus all your spices.
- Mix together into a thick batter.
- Heat your ghee or oil over medium heat in a frying pan or skillet.
- Once heated, use a ¼ cup to scoop the batter into the frying pan and spread into a nice thin pancake shape.
- Place the lid on the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the bottom is golden brown, flip and leaving the lid off, fry for another 2-3 minutes again until golden brown.
- When done, place the fritters on a paper towel on a plate and serve hot with sour cream and chives, whipped butter, or anything else you prefer. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is not always 100% accurate.