Who doesn't like a good bowl of creamy, gooey, cheesey Mac and Cheese every so often? I know my 3 year old would eat it everyday for lunch if I let her. So this is the gourmet version that we like to make whenever we want real, good, savory one pot Gouda mac and cheese.
The nice thing about this recipe is that you can make the whole thing in one pot- less dishes and less space. I have a really small kitchen to be honest, and our goal is to move onto a school bus "skoolie" in the next couple years so it may only get smaller for me. So I definitely am a fan of "one pot" recipes. Less mess and dishes if I can help it.
Making Mac and Cheese:
Start out with the butter and flour making a simple roux which will help thicken the sauce. I like to let the butter get to that just browning stage before adding in the flour to really get some of that good butter flavor going first.
Once you have made your roux, start adding the liquids. We used almond milk for a couple reasons. One, it adds a nutty undertone that goes really well with cheese flavors. Two, we get the bulk- 6 boxes of almond milk from Costco (also on Amazon in the link above) so we use it a lot in baking and cooking to save on our regular milk. If you prefer a different type of milk though feel free to use what you have. Add the chicken broth as well and start stirring and bringing to a boil. Once it's boiling add the macaroni and cook on a low boil just like if you were cooking it normally until done. The mixture will thicken quite a bit while the pasta cooks.
Once the macaroni is done, begin adding the cheeses. We just get the small 7oz wedge of Gouda at Target. It's in any deli section usually. The sharp cheddar adds that sharp flavor boost and the cream cheese adds even more creaminess to the mixture. Once the cheese is melted in, add the spices and salt and pepper to taste and cook on low heat for a couple minutes just to let the spices combine well into the cheese sauce.
Serve it up hot, get comfy, and enjoy the best one pot Gouda mac and cheese ever!
Tag us on Instagram @grabthemangos and give us a rating and review right here in the comments! And don't forget to pin and save it for next time!
If you love this recipe be sure to check out our Stir Fried Noodles recipe too 🙂
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 3 tablespoon Flour
- 2 cups Almond Milk
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 box Elbow Macaroni
- 7 oz Gouda , diced
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar , shredded
- ½ 8 oz block Cream Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Salt and Pepper , to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the butter on medium-low heat.
- Once melted completely and just beginning to brown, add the flour and combine with a whisk.
- Add the milk of choice (almond milk adds a little bit of a nuttier flavor) and the chicken broth and combine well using the whisk.
- Bring to a boil and add the macaroni. Reduce to a low boil and stirring every couple minutes.
- Once macaroni is fully cooked and the mixture has thickened, add the cheese slowly mixing it in with a spoon to melt and combine fully.
- Add the spices in and cook on low for 5-10min stirring constantly.
- Serve hot and Enjoy!!