The summer is not over yet and neither are our summer recipes! These BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches have our creamy crunchy and healthy mango slaw on top. It is the perfect summer sandwich with a little hint of sweet crunch on top. Totally easy to customize with additional toppings and whatever your favorite kind of BBQ sauce is. Ready for easy weeknight dinners or a nice relaxing meal on the weekends. Easy and delicious, this one is calling your name for these last few weeks of summer weather!
Is Pulled chicken the same as shredded?
There is only a little difference between the two making them generally the same thing.
Here’s the difference: Pulled meats are generally cooked slowly until EXTRA tender. This allows you to literally pull it apart easily because it basically falls apart on its own.
Here’s why they are basically the same thing: pulled is just a more tender fall apart version of shredded. Shredded is quicker and will create a more “chopped bits” type of bite vs. a pulled meat is going to be more of that classic tender juicy fall apart bits.
They are both super delicious and don’t make a huge difference in your meal. It really just depends on what you have time for.
This recipe for BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches is super easy to make just on the stove top. By cooking whole pieces of chicken tenders or sliced chicken breasts with a drizzle of olive oil in a pan with the lid on, you get that really tender cooked through chicken that is easy to shred/pull apart.
How do you shred chicken?
Shredding chicken is super easy but can also be kind of a pain. You can either use two forks and pull the chicken apart bit by bit, or you can use your electric blender. Yep, that’s right! You can use the same electric mixer you normally use for making cookies to shred your chicken quicker and easier.
Tips for using your electric mixer for pulled chicken:
- Use a tall bowl to minimize the chicken bits flying out while you shred.
- Poke your beaters through a paper plate and then attach them to the beater, creating a shield so that chicken doesn’t fly out of the bowl.
- Make sure your chicken is really cooked through and tender.
- Use your beater to go on top of the bigger pieces of chicken and work your way downward to tear it up.
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. This helps the blog to keep producing free content. I only include companies and products I actually use and trust that I think will be helpful to you too! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read our disclosure for more info.
BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
All you need to make some really tasty and easy pulled chicken is chicken of course, and your favorite BBQ sauce. Our favorites are:
- Our own Maple Chili BBQ Sauce which packs a punch
- Kansas Style BBQ Sauce with a Kick
- Tangy Mustard BBQ Sauce
- Vidalia Onion BBQ Sauce
Simply douse your pulled chicken in the BBQ sauce you like best and pile onto your sandwich! Add our creamy, crunchy, and healthier mango slaw on top for the complete and AHH-MAZING sandwich.
Hope you enjoy this one as much as we do!
If you love this recipe, be sure to check out these drool worthy recipes too:
Tag us on instagram @grabthemangos and give us a rating and review right here in the comments! And don’t forget to pin and save it for next time 😉
Shop the Post
- For the Mango Slaw:
- 2 cups shredded Green Cabbage
- 2 shredded Carrots
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Whole Mango (~1 cup diced Mango)
- 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Cilantro
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- For the BBQ Pulled Chicken:
- 4-5 Chicken Tenders OR 2-3 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Favorite BBQ Sauce
- Sesame Buns
- For the Mango Slaw:
- Shred you cabbage by slicing it nice and thin (best way to do this written up above).
- Shred your carrots, dice red onion small, chop up cilantro, and dice the mango.
- Add everything to a big bowl and toss together with any additional ingredients you may want (see original recipe for ideas)
- Add in your Greek yogurt, vinegar, honey, and spices and mix well.
- You can eat it right away or for best results, refrigerate for a 2-3 hours before serving.
- For BBQ Pulled Chicken:
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add chicken whole (not cut).
- Place a cap on the skillet and let the chicken cook for about 3-4 minutes for tenders and 5-7 minutes for breasts. Then flip and do the same on the other side.
- Once cooked all the way through (may take slightly longer or shorter, check by cutting open), turn the heat off and place into a bowl to shred with electric beaters (see tips written in article above, or onto a cutting board to pull apart with forks.
- Once completely shredded, mix in your BBQ sauce (you may want more or less according to your taste preference) and feel free to heat in the skillet over low heat.
- Once you are ready to eat, scoop BBQ chicken onto a sesame bun with coleslaw on top and gobble up. Enjoy!