This gluten free sweet potato gnocchi recipe is so easy to make, delicious, light and fluffy, and also dairy free! We love this in soups, with sauces, or our favorite- pan fried with olive oil, sage, and garlic. However you make it in the end, this recipe for fresh homemade sweet potato gnocchi is the best! Some gluten free flour, almond flour, eggs, and creamy coconut milk mixed with one roasted sweet potato.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi Recipe
Making this is so easy especially with this one tip: roast your sweet potato ahead of time. If you know you'll be craving some of this amazing gluten free sweet potato gnocchi sometime in the week, roast your sweet potato ahead of time. This makes the whole process so quick and easy.
Roasting the sweet potato also gives this recipe a whole lot of flavor. The caramelized top of the sweet potato is so delicious and brings this homemade gnocchi over the top. If you decide to make it ahead of time, just store it in the fridge in a Tupperware until you are ready to use it. This also helps because the roasted potato is fully cooked and soft but totally cooled down.
Making Gluten Free Gnocchi
Gnocchi is one of my favorite dinners to make. Going gluten free did NOT change this. Still need my beautiful Italian dinners people! So this recipe is made with Bob Red Mill's 1-1 gluten free flour and Almond flour. This combination gives it a fluffy structure but a super savory and soft texture.
The creamy coconut milk added in replaces what normally is ricotta cheese for a creamy, melt in your mouth flavor. Still dairy free and so delicious! My favorite brand to use is the Thai Kitchen's coconut milk because it is SO creamy.
There are two ways to make gnocchi. On a flat surface mixing everything together by hand and have some fun with it getting down and dirty. Or in a bowl which works well too. Eventually, after mixing these wonderful ingredients together, you will have an orange dough ball that has the texture of sticky playdough.
When mixing the ingredients together, start by combining the roasted sweet potato and the flours as much as possible. Then create a second well in the mixture and pour in the beaten eggs and coconut milk. It may get a bit squishy and messy here but it comes together fairly easily.
Making sure your surface is nicely floured with the gluten free flour, cut this gnocchi dough ball into sections and roll each section out into a long snake. This is my kids favorite thing to help with because of this process right here!
Slightly flatten the snake of dough and then cut pieces off bit by bit making your gnocchi. Ta dahhh!! There you have it! If you want to store it for a little later, make sure it is pretty well floured so none of the pieces stick together and then place in a tupperware and store in the fridge until you are ready to use.
Tag us on Instagram @grabthemangos and give us a rating and review right here in the comments! And don't forget to pin and save it for next time!
More Sweet recipes for you to love
- Regular Classic Potato Gnocchi
- Dairy Free White Chicken Chili
- Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Gluten Free Apple Pie Coffee Cake
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Gnocchi (+dairy free)
This homemade gluten free sweet potato gnocchi is so light, fluffy, and easy to make! Totally gluten free and dairy free, make it pan fried, tossed with sauce, or even in soups.
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1 Egg
- ⅓ cup Thai Kitchen's Coconut Milk
- 1 ½ cup Bob's Red Mill 1-1 Gluten Free Flour
- ½ cup Almond Flour
- (Extra Gluten Free Flour for dusting)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400.
- Cut your sweet potato in half and brush olive oil on each half and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast for 45 minutes or until a fork goes through the center easily.
- Let cool completely and then mash thoroughly with a fork. (can be done beforehand and kept in the fridge in a tupperware until ready for use)
- On a flat surface (or in a bowl), combine the flours and create a well in the middle (pictured above).
- Add the mashed sweet potato to the center and begin to combine the flour with the sweet potato until a sort of dough starts to form.
- Create a well once again in the center and add your cream and beaten egg.
- Combine all together thoroughly until an orange sticky dough forms (almost like playdough).
- Dusting the surface well with gluten free flour, cut into slices.
- Take each slice and roll into a long "snake."
- Flatten slightly to give it the right shape, and then cut bite size pieces off.
- You can store your gnocchi in the fridge, making sure to dust with flour well so that the pieces don't stick together, until you are ready to make. Or you can make right away.
- Boil for 5-7 minutes, pan fry with olive oil, or add to soups- whatever you use it for enjoy this delicious sweet potato gnocchi 🙂
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 37mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g
Nutritional information is not always 100% accurate.