Garlic smashed potatoes are my new obsession. Healthy, gluten free, dairy free, and vegan, and just so so good! I love pretty much every and any way to make and eat a potato. French fries are my go to, potato chips, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, you name it. But these smashed potatoes might be stealing my top spot for how to eat potatoes. Especially because these are so easy to make and even my four year old gobbled them up! We made our version with garlic, cilantro, and lime and it was amazing.
Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes
We used cream potatoes in our recipe and they got pretty crispy around the edges but stayed creamy in the centers. If you want something that's more crispy in general, use red potatoes instead. I, however, thought the cream potatoes were perfect!
A cream potato is just a potato (usually golden or red- we used golden) that has been harvested before maturity so they are still small, extra soft, and creamy. I love these potatoes for meals like this or even for mashed potatoes. In this recipe they are extra easy too because they smash so well.
Cilantro Lime Potatoes
Adding cilantro and lime to these garlic smashed potatoes really kicked it up a notch. These are so perfect for football Sunday appetizers. Our family is made up of die hard Vikings fans and football is an event every single Sunday in the fall. We make all the appetizers and yummy snack foods, and hang out laughing and having fun and whether you are watching or not, you have purple and gold on and you're eating delicious food together. That's fall Sundays in our house.
With some fresh chopped cilantro, a little olive oil, one whole squeezed lime, garlic, and salt and pepper, these potatoes are really no fuss and come together easily. We love to either dip our in ranch or add a dollop of sour cream. Even plain they are so yummy!
Smashed Potatoes Recipe
Making smashed potatoes is a two step easy process. First you boil the potatoes. Make sure they don't get too soft, but just soft enough to smash easily. Then you press them flat and bake them to get crisp.
We used small gold cream potatoes and boiled them for 20 minutes which was perfect. After boiling them, let them dry out for about 10 minutes so that water doesn't mix in with them when you smash them.
On parchment paper smash them flat using the bottom of a mason jar or something similar that will press them evenly flat. The parchment paper really helps to make sure they don't stick while they get crisp in the oven.
Stir the cilantro, garlic, lime juice, and olive oil in a small bowl and pour over the top of the smashed potatoes, brushing it to spread it out evenly. Bake them for 40 minutes at 375. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and let them rest for at least 10 minutes before trying to lift them off the pan to make sure they set and won't fall apart too much. Enjoy!
Tag us on Instagram @grabthemangos and give us a rating and review right here in the comments! And don't forget to pin and save it for next time!
More Sweet recipes for you to love
- Peanut Butter Chia Seed Cookie Dough
- Peach Jalapeno Salsa
- Buffalo Roasted Cauliflower
- Oven Baked Salt and Vinegar French Fries
Cilantro Lime Garlic Smashed Potatoes
These garlic smashed potatoes with cilantro and lime are totally gluten free and vegan! Super easy to make and delicious. Perfect for Sunday football appetizers 🙂
- 1.5 lbs (about 15 small potatoes) Cream Potatoes
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Whole Lime Juiced
- 2 teaspoon Minced Garlic (about 2 cloves)
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large pot, boil enough water to cover the potatoes over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat slightly so it doesn't spill over, and cook for 20 minutes until tender.
- While they boil, mix the garlic, cilantro, lime, and olive oil in a small bowl and pre-hest the oven to 375.
- When the potatoes are done, drain and let them dry out for at least 10 minutes.
- Using the bottom of a mason jar or a flat similar object, press the potatoes flat on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Coat the smashed potatoes in the cilantro lime mixture and bake in the oven for 40 minutes until they are crispy enough for you.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and let them rest when they are done for about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 32mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is not always 100% accurate.